Position: Director - Veterans Business Outreach Center of New England
The Center for Women & Enterprise (CWE) is a nationally recognized dynamic, fast-paced, and intellectually stimulating 501(c) 3 economic development organization with 21 years of successful experience providing opportunities for women entrepreneurs and women in business to increase professional success, personal growth, and financial independence. Located in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire, CWE delivers business development programs and services and certifies women owned businesses.
The Director of the Veterans Business Outreach Center of New England is responsible for the overall management and growth of the Veteran Business Outreach Center (VBOC). The Director is responsible for delivering programming that provides business development services and resources to service members, veterans, and military families throughout six New England states (Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Maine). The VBOC of New England is operated by the Center for Women & Enterprise.
The ideal candidate is a veteran with a demonstrated knowledge of military culture with strong leadership, organization, and communication skills, and extensive business, administrative and logistical experience.
- Organizes and manages the operations of the VBOC while promoting the creation of new veteran owned small businesses; provides assistance to existing veteran owned small businesses while adhering to the goals and compliance with the program requirements of the Small Business Administration (SBA), Office of Veterans Business Development (OVBD) and CWE.
- Works closely with CWE site directors and others (as appropriate) to track and analyze activities and outcomes of programs; prepares required reports.
- Administers, directs and refers to integrated programs and services of the VBOC in the prescribed service area according to all applicable policies, procedures, Federal and State laws, regulations, and other governing documents.
- Markets and promotes VBOC programs and services within the prescribed service area by attending and speaking at community meetings and events, and other means as assigned.
- Establishes and maintains strong business relationships with local financial institutions, relevant service providers, local business community groups and other stakeholders in the community; collaboratively offer programs; ensures a good working relationship with the SBA.
- Manages and maintains all client records, with an emphasis on confidentiality.
- Collaborates with various organizations that are involved in developing jobs in the defined service area to create new business opportunities for clients.
- Assesses the needs of small business owners; recommends and assists with plan of action implementation.
- Manages program personnel; in this capacity, including but not limited to hires the right people for the right jobs, manages employee performance, provides opportunities for training and development, allocates work assignments, successfully resolves problems as they occur.
- Related duties as assigned by the CWE CEO.
Minimum Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field
- 10 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
- 8 years of experience in senior program management, business development, financial analysis, business management, or business ownership, including supervisory responsibilities directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Demonstrated ability to communicate orally and in written form and to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
- Write reports and business correspondence
- Effectively and positively present information to small and large groups
- Proven ability to successfully manage multiple projects at one time
- Proficiency in MS Office suite products including, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proven ability to work effectively with a wide range of community, economic development and corporate relationships, including diverse groups, specifically veterans and military families
- Model teamwork for the program by working effectively with other leaders
- Create organizational culture, systems and processes that enable cross-functional teamwork
- Develop team leadership capabilities throughout the organization
- Make own personal/functional interests secondary to the interests of the organization as a whole
- Effectively resolve boundary issues between organizations/departments
- Foster an environment where trust is considered a key factor in building long-term relationships
- Remain approachable and friendly to others with lower organizational status
- Develop, maintain and utilize professional relationships outside the organization to generate important outcomes for the organization
- Share extensive network of internal/external contact with others to accomplish organizational goals
- Build and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with other organizations
Flexible & Achieves Change
- Develop and use the organization’s strategy to provide clarity in an ambiguous business environment
- Initiate organizational changes in response to cues in the external environment
- Champion organizational change initiative in a way that helps people understand, appreciate and support them
- Ensure that organization structures and systems encourage flexible response to change
- Guide the organization to remain flexible in a changing, competitive environment
Analyzes & Solves Problems
- Establish resources and/or processes to gather information/data for problem solving or analysis
- Support the definition and resolution of ill-defined complex, problems that cross organizational boundaries
- Ensure redundant organization-wide systems to facilitate accurate and complete data collection and analysis
- Recognize and resolve emerging problems for the business before they become reality
- Solve practical problems and deal with a number of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Expect to work outside of normal business hours
- Must have and maintain a valid Driver’s License
- Travel (75%) within the New England region (Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut)
Interested individuals should submit a resume, thoughtful cover letter and salary requirements to Daria Kreher, at Daria.Kreher@gmail.com.
The Center for Women & Enterprise is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time